Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ring tecca tecca clamp

I had a sudden realization this morning that whereas I have a multitude of projects in varying states of completion laying around, none of them have been photo documented. Since I really want that to be part of this journey, there may be a period of time here that sort of leap in progress, and others when it seems a bit stale. Like I said, bear with me. There is definitely a learning curve to this.

Now, usually when I plan something, if you pay close enough attention you can hear a faint sizzle moments before it bursts into flames. However, I've found that when I fly by the seat of my pants, things seem to go quite well. I'm a seat-of-my-pants kind of gal apparently. And since I obviously have not planned any of this blogging thing, well, I take it as a sign that it will somehow turn out just fine.

Some of you may be wondering when I lost my mind with the title of this post. Actually, it has to do with today's project (imagine the coincidence!). Zills. Or finger cymbals, but I prefer zills because it's much more fun to say. Zills. (Don't try to pretend you didn't just say that out loud.) For any of you who are not already aware, I've been belly dancing for a couple of years now, and became addicted to it straight away. It's the most fun! Zills are used in belly dancing for a few purposes. In the class I'm taking now (hi Bev!) we're running zill drills. This is the first time I've ever done zilling, so again, learning curve.

Today's project is putting elastic on your zills or hand stitching small bits of elastic in a small space while injured.
Let me explain the Batman bandaid. I don't like bandaids. They're uncomfortable, restrict use of the finger, and they're kind of ugly. So I choose bandaids with flair. At the moment, if I give you a thumbs up, it's in crime fighting regalia! Don't you feel honored?
 These are my first pair of zills and they are EVIL. In case you've never really paid any attention to zills before, study this picture well. EVIL!

I got them before I knew better, aka now, and let me tell you why they're EVIL! First, when I got them they had a single hole for the elastic which was knotted making a "tec" impossible. So, after talking to my teacher (hi Bev!), Steve (hi hubby!) cut 2 slots in each to thread elastic through and sew it together. I used black for thumbs and white for fingers- just in case you were wondering about the color difference (more about that later on). He also sewed the elastic for me at that time since I was pmsing that day and a zill almost imbedded itself in his forehead when he asked how the sewing was going. I think he bought me chocolate the following day. At least he understands me.

First problem was that now they could "clamp" and "tec" but not "ring." Plus, that little hole (you can see it on the one to the left) cut the pad of my fingers very effectively! Not fun.

So I got these:
                                                     Behold the beauty of non evil zills!

 And check out the size difference!

Sorry fellas, in this case size does matter.

The new zills are much bigger and heavier which makes them easier to control and they've got a great sound!








So the first step is to measure how much elastic you'll need for your finger. Keep in mind that thumbs are bigger than middle fingers- so don't just make them all the same.

I used a white chalk pencil to mark a line where I wanted the elastic to meet to make sure it was tight enough, then cut the elastic with a bit to spare.
 Secure the ends with a straight pin, and check to make sure it's tight enough. It should be pretty tight! I've been hit in class by some that were too loose. Funny in class, not funny in the first row of a show when you may be holding a drink, a baby, or fries with ketchup. Maybe all three at once.

Take a moment to picture that. Not on yourself, but someone else that you don't like.

Ready? We'll move on.

 I used quiting thread to sew the elastic together because it's thicker and stronger than regular thread. I'm a bit paranoid about the thread breaking, especially when it's under a lot of load like in this case, so I also used a double strand.

Laugh if you must, but sometimes paranoia pays off.

 As you finish each zill, be sure to keep the ones for your thumbs separate from the ones for your middle fingers. If you use a different color elastic, you're good to go. This time, I went with black elastic for all 4 zills, so I needed some way of easily telling which is which. Yes, you can just put them on and if they're too big for your finger it's a thumb one, but honestly, when you're already late for your curtain call because stage make up takes THAT LONG! Not to mention hair (do what I do, where a wig). Every second counts.

One idea is to just make a few stitches in the elastic in a contrasting color on the thumb zills so you instantly know them. Or, you could use sequins, beads, anything you have laying around the house small enough to fit on the elastic band.

I decided to use buttons. I put different buttons on the thumbs and finger zills so I can tell which is which. I can also use the buttons to attach ribbons or streamers to. Anything to distract the audience away from the fact that my zilling skills are lacking.







The finished product. And just in time for tonight's class!

No comments:

Post a Comment