Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dictionary

I've finally started to decorate one of my practice hip scarves that has been sitting here, maliciously mocking me for several weeks.

The first part is relatively straight forward: make tassels. You can buy tassels at a store, but they tend to be expensive, and you typically have one, possibly two sizes to choose from. Much more effective to make your own.

 I'm using some fine satin yarn in Ecru- not white, Ecru- to make my tassels. I want them fairly long so I'm using my Micro-Macrame book to wrap the yarn around (50 times, just because that seems like a nice number).
 Once you have the tassel as thick as you want it, slip it off the book (or what ever you're using), and choose an end to wrap. I tend to go for the end that does NOT have the other end of the yarn.
 Wrap a bit of the yarn, first away from the end of the bundle, then towards the end of the bundle. Make sure you wrap tightly and neatly. Although if you have to choose one or the other, make it tight.

Not sure why you would have to choose, but maybe you're being held for ransom in a dark room by yarn hijackers and they're sadistic enough to force you to make thousands of tassels, but they make you choose if you will wrap them neatly or tightly, "Only choose one you dog! Or I KILL YOU!"

Where was I?
 Oh right! See? Neat and tight.


Now, cut the dangly bit of yarn attaching your tassel to the ball/skein/knot-because-most-of-it-has-now-fallen-off-and-is-bunched-on-the-floor-where-the-cat-thinks-you're-the-best-owner-for-having-provided-her-with-endless-joy/whatever you want to call it.
 And tie a knot to secure the wrapping.

I don't like using glue for my tassels, but many do, so I suppose it's a viable option.

You know. If you want to be one of those people.
 Then, thread the dangly bit onto (or is that into?) a needle and thread the needle down through the center of the wrapped portion.
 Cut the loopy bits at the long, unwrapped end and TADA! Have yarn will tassel.
 I bet you're wondering why on Earth a post about tassels would ever be titled "Dictionary." Have I lost my mind? Have I started drinking really early? Is this some sort of plot to make you question the very fabric of existence?

Well, yes, no, and quite possibly. But there is an actual reason, keep going.

See, in the Micro-Macrame book there is a pattern for making beaded tassels. How cool is that?
 And as I was following the instructions, I came to realize that what the world really needs is a Beaders to English Dictionary. So I have begun compiling one.

Easy project- Take 2 aspirin before beginning because by the time you through said project into the corner you're going to have quite a headache!
 Thread on a bead- Scream at the stupid thread for being too thick, the stupid bead for having a hole too small, then find bigger beads to use. You will then of course need to find a weapon to threaten said bead and thread to behave tool to make the process less dangerous and prone to emotional break downs.

Tool box- Should always contain plenty of band-aids to patch up the holes in your fingers made by your tools.
 Simple knots- See "Easy project."

Difficult knots- Pour yourself a drink. It may still look like crap, but you won't care as much.
 Add another bead- Make it a really pretty one to distract viewers from the rest of the piece.
 Continue in this manner- Maybe if I keep going it will all eventually come together.

You may be familiar with the 5 stages of grief, this also applies to a botched beading job. This would be the denial phase.
 Stunning- Why does nothing I do ever turn out right?

This is also part of the anger and/or depression stage.
 Gorgeous accessory- What the hell is that supposed to be?

Looks a bit like a jelly fish on steroids.
Keep practicing- Yes, I couldn't do it at first either and the reason I said it was simple was so you would buy my book.

Finally comes the final stage of grief- acceptance. You know, it is possible to do too much. I think it looks good like this.


Of course you know this means war. I can't not knot. And come on! Beaded tassels? It doesn't get cooler than that. It's just going to take a bit more time.


And look! Bead work!

Yep, stunning, gorgeous, and simple accessory.









Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment