Saturday, June 4, 2011

Third Eye

Do you remember when Gwen Stefani did the whole bindi thing and every store that ever thought about selling fashion accessories had bindis by the boat full? Well, apparently now that I've discovered how amazing bindis can be, they are no longer fashionable and therefore incredibly hard to find.

Story of my life.

Luckily, they are simple to make.

If you can find the supplies. Apparently rhinestones are not popular at the moment either. I'm not entirely sure I understand that, by the way. I mean easy, affordable, tiny pieces of bling. How can this not be popular? Rhinestones will always be loved by girls of any age or gender.

Yeah, the only place online that I can find bags of rhinestones for sale are Drag Queen supply sites. They get all the fun stuff!

Anyway! As you may recall, I found these:

I was over joyed because I thought I had found the answer to my prayers!




Or not.



 But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Before I found out what a horrible mistake I had made, I made a bunch of half inch diameter circles with a compass on some heavy paper.

I made them in random places instead of neat rows because I was feeling quite random at the time.

I'm such a rebel!
 Then, I put a dab of glue on a scrap piece of paper and used a q-tip/cotton bud/ear poker/whatever you prefer to call it to spread a thin layer of the glue on one of my circles.
 Then, working quickly because the glue dries quickly, I began building up my pattern of sequins using tweezers to put them in place.

This is about where I stopped (you'll see in the following pictures I did do a bit more, but not much) because, let's face it, this is crap.

Know when to give up your idea. Admit defeat. Once you do, you can come up with something much better.

So I got some tubs of sew on sequins at the craft store. These aren't exactly what I wanted, but since they're the only ones readily available, they will have to do.

This time, rather than spreading the glue on the circle, I dipped the rhinestones into the glue, and placed them. Once again using tweezers, but this time with the additional aid of a toothpick.

High quality tools.
 Still not entirely ready to admit total defeat with the sequins, I used them in conjunction with the rhinestones.

As well as some small beads.
 Using a pair of small, sharp scissors (I used manicure scissors), carefully cut out the shapes.

The manicure scissors worked really well, by the way. The slight curve of the blades proved fantastic!
 Next, it's sealing time!

Nail top coat works quite well for this. One or two coats front and back.
And voila! Complete!

Now, this was the first time that I attempted these, and I've learned a few things. For instance, the sequins... don't like them. You may want to be careful when opening cards from me for a while.

And secondly, I don't like the paper backing. It's not too bad since you don't see it when you're wearing them, however, I would like to put these up for sale, and I have high standards for what I sell. Therefore, I will be experimenting with other materials. Stay tuned!


And happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment