Monday, April 18, 2011

Beaded shoes

It's the first day of the school holidays here, so of course, it's pouring rain, cold, windy, and the kids are cooped up inside driving me bonkers. The sound of fighting is an almost constant background noise as they argue about everything which game to play, which movie to watch, who's turn it is on the computer, and who is breathing the loudest. Only 13 days to go.

Oh my.

It looks like my options are pretty cut and dry: turn up the music, open a can of coke, and start that project that's been staring me in the face for a couple of weeks, nagging me in it's own sick, silent way.

I think that sometimes we procrastinate because we have too much on our minds to truly focus. Other times, I think procrastination is a defense tool because we somehow sense the evil that lurks inside that which we continue to put off.

Meet my favorite shoes. You may notice they look a bit worn. That's because they're so comfy I wear them just about every day.

You may also notice that one has a bow, and the other does not. The reason why is simple, I never really liked the bow, so I decided to see how easy it was to remove. Very easy. But, they're a bit plain without the bow. So here are the options: sew the bow back on, cut the other bow off suck it up and leave them plain, or create a beaded focal to attach to the shoes and make them even more special.

Guess which option I chose?

No, I chose the 3rd! The other two would make for a seriously boring project don't you think?


 So here are my bead choices. I just love the little bat charms and I use them whenever I can because they're just so darn cute!

I have no idea where this is going to go. Normally, I'm a bit of a control freak, but this is a good feeling. Being slightly out of control, but still in the driver's seat. But not in a dangerous or reckless way.

Unless you consider cutting the bows off your shoes a reckless abandonment of society's code of conduct when it comes to footwear. Then I'm a wild woman!

And you have some issues.

Anyway, I started with a large bead, and surrounded it with my peacock seed beads.
 Then started making little "rays" or "legs" with the black seed beads to mimic the pattern on the shoes.
 All the way around until it looks like a sun.

Or starfish.

Not really sure, to be honest.

Anyway, then I used the peacock beads to string between the beads at the top of the ray legs.

And absolutely hated the outcome.
 So I took it all apart, and started again.

This time, 5 peacock seed beads on each side of the large bead.
 Then 2...nope doesn't work, ok 3 on the ends to join it into a ..... ummm..... circle.

Starting to get an inkling of where this is going, but I'm going to push through and hopefully it'll get better.
 Peyote stitch to add a row.

Ummm.....

My mom had one of those essential truths the other day: Some projects just come together like they were meant to be. Others are like the evil children of the corn, and no matter what you do, it's a struggle to make anything go as planned.

This is turning into one of those evil projects. So, what do you do now? If you're answer is to persevere and try your best no matter what the obstacle, well, good for you! My solution is a little different. Cut it all apart, pour yourself a drink, when your husband gives you a hard time for drinking at 3 in the afternoon, throw your shoe at him and tell him to go get you a brownie. It doesn't finish the job, but you may feel better.

Or you can just settle for a simpler design.

It may not be as impressive, but at least your husband won't feel abused, and you won't be taking a step toward alcoholism. 

Besides, it's cute with the little battys!

No comments:

Post a Comment