Friday, April 8, 2011

Everything is customizable

Motivation has been sadly lacking today. My eyes have apparently been scrubbed with sandpaper and I seem to be unable to absorb enough oxygen (I've been yawning a lot). So, things have been a bit slow today.

But, I can't have a day without doing something...well, something a bit more interesting than converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. I mean, I know the process is fascinating and complicated, not to mention necessary for life on this planet to continue, but it just doesn't hold my attention for long periods of time. It's sort of like when Steve (dear hubby) starts talking in his techno-speak. Computers are great things...usually...but I just can't pretend to be interested in their inner workings.

Possibly it's a good coincidence that my project today involves the computer.

First, a bit of a back story. In January, our car was broken into, and my ipod, along with a bunch of other things, was stolen. Yesterday, we finally got the go ahead from the insurance company to replace some of our stuff. My ipod being one of them. Unfortunately, the nano 5th generation no longer exists (so to speak), so I had to get a 6th generation. It's not bad, but it's not as good as the 5th generation. There's a lot of really cool things the 5th generation could do that the 6th generation can't. Bit of a bummer, but oh well. At least I have portable music again!

So before I really learn how to use it, I'm going to customize it. I've found this great website: GelaSkins . That's where I'm going to personalize my new best friend.

First, though, I need to upload the picture. The site has a huge selection of pre-loaded art. And it's all stunning. But, I'm quite specific. And that would probably be the worst possible blog entry. "I went to this site. Clicked on what I wanted. And purchased." Hope your chair has seat belts to deal with the adrenaline rush from that!

Anyway, I had a bit of a task to decide on which image I wanted to use. I've got quite a few I've collected, and I love them all. But this is one of my favorite belly dance images. Since the ipod holds music- including my collection of belly dance music, I thought a belly dancer would be most fitting. I wish I knew who the artist is so I could give credit. It's a stunning image!

 Quite honestly, it's super easy to create one of these things. Go to the site, it walks you through the whole process.

First, choose what you want to cover. They seem to focus on apple products, which is a bit of a let down when it comes to covering my lap top which is an HP, but it's handy for the ipod, so can't really fault that.

If you're curious about the screen shots, it's because my laptop is a mini. So the screen is a bit smaller than what you may be used to. Hopefully this works.

Next, upload your image. Do this by clicking on "Choose file," then "Upload." Whoever designed this site was a genius! Especially since after you've uploaded your image, you click "Let's lay it out," to, imagine, lay out the artwork.

Sorry for the extreme sarcasm. I'm really tired.

Then it's just a matter of dragging the image onto the template.
 Resize, rotate, and reposition until it looks the way you want it to.
 When you click preview, this is the screen that comes up while it's loading, and I love it! "Patience please. Magic in progress..." I giggled when that came up. Oh yeah, this is where the magic happens!
And here's the preview of my GelaSkin that should be here in 10-20 days. Can't wait!

Plus shipping was really reasonable. $3.95 US for international ground shipping. Ok, granted, it's not like the package should be big and heavy, but you'd be stunned at how much some companies gouge for shipping!



Apologies for less than crafty post. Hopefully will have a chance to do more soon. In the meanwhile, celebrate today, April 8th, by drawing a picture of a bird. And tomorrow, April 9th, is Name Yourself Day!

1 comment:

  1. "Dear Hubby" says - yea someones been a complete grump all day, the whining has been horrendous (now I'm getting dinner and probably have to provide a backrub before I get forgiven)

    And the comments about techno speak ... huh .. but it does explain the glazed eyes and weird smile when I'm talking to her!

    ReplyDelete