Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lolita Hat

If you're new to Steampunk styles, then prepare to fall in love. The Lolita hat is one of my favorite accessories because it's cute and girlie, but still edgy and hip. I made this hat a few months back for a Steampunk belly dance performance that went quite well. And I'm looking forward to wearing it on my next visit to the local burlesque show!

 I have seen tiny ones in stores that you can buy ready made, but not only are they unimaginative and dull, they're also incredibly expensive. At least, for a nice one. I found one once that was $60! Ouch. And it was just plain black. BORING!


Have no fear, though, they're actually quite easy to make. And no sewing!





 First, get a Styrofoam cone.

Super cheap.




Then decide how tall you want your hat to be. The fat end of the cone will be the top of the hat. Make sure you don't cut your cone too short. It's always easier to take a bit more off than add more on.

Wouldn't it be great if the same concept worked for dieting?





Next, go into the drawer where you keep your old software cd's in case your computer crashes and you need to reload everything. Grab one of the older cd's- 2 years should just about do it because by then the software is no longer compatible with your computer, we love technology. The point is, get a cd you don't need anymore. If you don't have a million laying around like I do, a blank cd will do fine.

This is going to be the brim of your hat.

Now comes the part I don't have pictures of. Using felt in the color of your choice, cut out 2 pieces that will entirely cover the cd, a long curved rectangle that will cover the sides of the cone (might be a bit tricky, so take your time, and have a drink handy), and another round piece that will cover the top (fat end) of the cone.

Make a mixture of 1 part white glue to 2 parts water. Cover your work area with saran wrap- or some sort of plastic covering to make clean up easier. Then, working one at a time, dip each felt piece into the glue mixture. Let it soak in the mixture, then, when you remove it, scrape the excess glue off it so it's not dripping. Then put it on the cone/cd. Take your time, the glue won't dry anytime soon, so go slowly to ensure your lines are lined up, and everything's covered.

Then go find something else to do for, oh say, 3 to 4 days. More or less depending on where you live and what the weather's like. It rains here a lot, so I think it took close to 6 days for mine to dry completely.

Once it's all dry, glue the covered cone shape to the covered cd using your choice of glue. In my case I used hot glue because it had taken the felt so long to dry that I was in a bit of a panicked hurry.

Now, the fun part! Decorate! You can be as crazy or conservative as you like. I used a combination of ribbon, sparkly tulle, a black silk rose, feathers, and a rhinestone focal off a headband for my hat.
Front

Lolita hats are supposed to sit slightly crooked, although, as far as I know, it's totally up to you. Left, right, straight in the middle- whatever you think looks best.

Most Lolita hats also have a hair comb attached to the underside of the brim. I find that makes them less secure, and can be a real pain when you've got a wig on. I avoided the issue altogether by using a headband I picked up at the $2 store and glued it to the underside of the hat at the angle I wanted. It's incredibly secure, and actually quite comfortable.
  I have no idea how much this cost in total. However, rough estimate would be somewhere in the margin of $30 to $40. Much better than what you'll pay in the stores!

And classier, if I do say so myself!
Back

No comments:

Post a Comment