Monday, April 11, 2011

Doll: Part 8 of 8... or 9

I'm pretty sure she's complete. I'm just not 100% sure. I'll get to that in a moment.

 To refresh your memory, last time we met, Peri and I had a bit of a disagreement. I wanted the top of her head to be straight, she wanted to be a heinous b*#@^. There was no amount of convincing I could do to make that piece sit straight.

So I pulled it all out and started over.

My issue was that if my next idea didn't work, I'd be up the creek because the act of putting the hair in, let alone taking it out and putting it in a second time, is very hard on the yarn and quite a few strands were compromised.
 Luckily, there was a lot of hair. And I was able to rescue enough to work.

I hope.
 So, once again I pushed all the hair around the perimeter of the head. This time, the lower half of the head form.
 Since there's enough yarn there, it's enough to cover the unsightly appearance of the seam line to be when it's flipped back.










Next, using a regular needle and thread, I carefully lined up the holes and sewed the top of the head on.











I kept the threads very loose so that I could reach around them to get inside the to do the stitching.











Then, I went back around and pulled the threads tight.

By some miracle it worked! Everything lines up.

Even if she does look a little bit like Frankenstein's monster.







Dabs of glue around the seam to help it all hold in place. I'd be so upset now if one of the threads broke, so the glue will help to keep the tension off the thread while the thread works to strengthen the bond of the glue.

That's my theory anyway.





One more go around the thread to pull it very tight, then tie off. The glue will help hold the knots in place.

 And now for a bit of a celebration/bonding time with my favorite chicken, Berrie. She's our 3 month old, very cuddly chicken!

Isn't she pretty?

Actually, I just had to let the glue set a bit.




 Once the glue is set (not necessarily all the way, just be gentle), you can style her hair.
 I did pigtails and twisted them into buns to add a bit of interest. Sort of like Princess Leah, but not quite as cinnamon rollish.

I was going to pierce her, but when I got right down to it, I really didn't want to. Not only did it just not suit her image, but I was also worried about putting a LOT of stress on the new seam holding her head together by shoving needles into her.

I decided to glue more of the rhinestones on her ears instead.

Adds interest without the stress of a needle.

And super easy. By this time with Peri, I'm all for easy.







Do you remember the time that your chemistry teacher burnt off his eyelashes with a bunsen burner. Actually, for me it was my biology teacher, but same sort of story. People look rather odd without eyelashes.

Which is why I give my dolls lashes.

These are "human" fake lashes that I picked up at the $2 store. They're great because they come in a variety of styles and colors, are easy to cut down to size, easy to apply, and affordable! When I wear fake lashes, I tend to pay a lot more for them, just because I get nervous about stuff around my eyes. But these $2 ones are perfect for dolls.

And they're blue!

Apply some of your craft glue around the eye socket with a toothpick. Try really really hard not to get any on the eye itself since it can make it look old and dull. 

 Then, with the help of tweezers, a needle, a clean toothpick, whatever, apply the lashes.

For Peri, I decided not to cut the lashes at all, but gave her a full look by wrapping the lashes around the eye socket.

I tend to put the base of the lashes up against the eye inside the socket. It's a preferential thing more than anything. I just like the way it looks more than on top of the lid where lashes would naturally grow.

The lashes blended in quite a bit, so I used some opalescent white nail polish (this is Sinful in the color Dare), to paint over the lashes. It just added a bit of sparkle to them and lifted them a bit.


And here she is.

Now looking at her, she's not done yet. Her hair is just too plain. So, I'll figure out something to decorate her hair with, and then she'll be done.

Oh please be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment