Thursday, April 21, 2011

Black Velvet In That Little Boy's Smile

Approximately every 28 days or so, a darkness descends upon my soul like a shroud of death to anyone not bearing chocolate, flowers, and/or wine. I'm bloated, fatigued, my hair hangs limp and lack luster, and my skin is a battle field. Acne is winning. As a result, I feel ugly.

There is only one cure... well, there's probably several, but this is my choice: wear an outfit you look drop dead gorgeous in.

Years ago I had a boyfriend whom I still enjoy imagining burning in the deepest, darkest, furthest reaches of hell. He was one of the worse mistakes of my life, but, he had decent taste in clothing. So I still have a few of the items he gave me over the course of our suffering.

Meet the long stretchy black velvet skirt.

I've lost count of how many times I've wanted to wear this, but because it's fancy, but not fancy enough at the same time, I think I've managed to wear it twice. I've also lost count of how many times it's been put into the donation pile, but because it fits so well and feels superb, it's always found its way back into my closet.

Next week, Steve and I are going on our monthly date night to a Cabaret show, and this time we're dressing the part! My thoughts once again centered on the skirt. But, since the slit ends below my knee, it's not what anyone would call risque.

Even though it does make my butt look HOT!
 So with my handy dandy unpicker, I made that slit slightly higher while watching The Commitments. Great movie, even better sound track.
 This is my serge machine. Well, not mine, really. I borrowed it from a dear friend a while back and loved it so much I sort of kid napped it. If she asks for it back, I'll have to go out and buy one because it's just so useful.

Unfortunately, it's also dead. I need to take it into the shop. Really bad timing since I could really use it today.
 No matter. I've still got the sewing machine.
 First a zig zag stitch. This is what I would normally use the serge machine to accomplish.
 Fairly close to the edge.
 Now a straight stitch.
 At a medium length.
 Due to the nature of stretch velvet, I'm not bothering to press the edges.

That and I'm not entirely sure where the iron, or the board are at the moment.

So, I'm taking it really slow, and keeping the material as straight as possible.

It's not perfect, but I'm hoping that much leg, a push up bra, dimly lit room, and a lot of alcohol will keep most people from noticing the imperfections!

No comments:

Post a Comment