Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Doll: Part 6 of however many it takes to finish her

I was sure this was going to be the last installment of this doll. But alas, there will be at least one more.

Part of the reason is that I've been distracted by other things today, the other has been injury.

While working on the beading for Periwinkle's necklace, I was reminded how much I enjoy bead work. And so, I've had a few ideas for projects running rampant through my mind. Steve has forbidden me, however, to begin any more projects until I finish a few of the ones already begun. But, I can't shake the desire to do more beading. The problem is, the mixed bead colors are aggravating my OCD inclinations. So this is what began innocently enough this morning. I've now realized how large a job it is to sort thousands of tiny beads into individual containers. Work in progress.

 You'll be happy to know that I have done more work on the hair.

A relatively small problem of some of the glue giving way as I inserted yarn suddenly became slightly more pronounced about half way through the job when the head once again separated. Fine, be that way.

It was, of course, entirely planned, because this way you can see what the inside of the head looks like with the hair inserted. Note the obvious lack of brain. I'm assuming this means she's a teenager.

Oh no! An ageist remark. I severely apologize to all teenagers with brains. In fact, I'll do so in person. Shouldn't take long. (This is what I believe you call satire.)

Moving on. The photo above shows the sharp pokey thing in action. Oh yeah, action shots!

I've made a row of holes along the edge of the top of the head. Then, with my white wax pencil, I made little lines on the base of the head to coincide with the holes. My idea is to tie the 2 pieces together with the yarn after reapplying glue, to hopefully add a little more strength to the scalp.

I now say a small prayer, and begin making the second row of holes. If it works, I'm awesome. If it doesn't... it doesn't really have a choice since I refuse to admit defeat.
 While making the row of holes, I also make a few holes in her ears to insert jewelry. I LOVE jewelry.

I got all the holes made, then started sorting some more beads. This is called procrastination. All my high and mighty talk about just beginning, starting is the hardest part, blah blah blah... right out the window! Fear of it not working led to a wee bit of procrastination.

So, I pulled up my big girl undies, told myself to stop being silly, and that's about when disaster struck.

First strand of yarn went in. Cool.

Second strand:


You know, when you stab yourself in the knuckle, it bleeds a lot.

I mean a LOT!

So Scooby Doo and the Gang are staunching the blood flow in the Mystery Machine. And I got straight back to work.

And stuck the needle into my thumb.

Call my superstitious, but I think that 2 bleeding injuries with one strand of yarn should be taken as a sign that you need to take a break. The cat agrees. She's curled up with me preventing in further work. Unless I want cat claws dug into my leg. Which I don't.

Here's to more progress tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment