Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Details aren't just for bunnies

I've always been a stickler for details. The overall picture doesn't interest me nearly as much as the little blue car in the upper left hand corner. I suspect that has something to do with the fact that I see things up close fairly well, but at any sort of distance the image starts to go blurry and loose it's luster (a moose bit my sister once, quite difficult to do since I'm an only child).

Anyway, I needed a filler blog wanted to share some of the details from previous projects that show why details can really make a piece special and add heaps of character.

 This is Dave. He's a small, soft sculpture fairy doll. When I do soft sculpture, the character of the face is usually quite a surprise to me when it's done. You know where to put the thread to get a nose, mouth, eyes, etc. but the final outcome depends on so many variables that I haven't figured out how to control yet. In fact, I'm not entirely sure it's possible, even though some people like to pretend it is. But come to think of it, I've never actually heard anyone actually say that they control the whole thing. Huh.
 This is a detail shot from Fish Guy. In my head, whenever I say his name I add a "Dum da-da da!" Like one of those really corny old fashioned super hero shows.

The material is a Paua shell print, because it just looks like it under water. To add interest, I used puff paints in the same color to draw designs on him. It was my first time using puff paints, and I may have gone a little overboard on it.
 As I may have mentioned before, I do belly dancing. Actually, I'm supposed to be at class now, but I just can't force myself to drive to Wellington at the moment. Plus I'm starving, so not a great night to have a late dinner.

One of my favorite parts of belly dance is jewelry. The more jewelry the better. Well, possibly not, but a lot is good. So I had lots of fun making jewelry for Ophelia here.
 And why not add some henna design. This was inspired by a traditional Indian henna design.
 ARGH ME HARTIES!

Sorry, sometimes the pirate in me claws her way out. In celebration, I created Darci. Once again, the more jewelry the better. I don't know about you, but gold coins and pearls just scream pirate to me.

And what pirate is complete without tattoos? I was going to write "Mom" on this heart, but then the disagreement between "Mom" versus "Mum" came up and there was just too many politics involved.
 If I were a real pirate, I think I'd get a compass tattooed on me. Imagine how handy that would be!
 And of course the eye patch. Of course she needed an eye patch.

And a reason for the eye patch!

If you look close enough, that's a skull in her red eye! Oooo....spooky. Thank goodness for that eye patch!

Darci also happens to be the first (and at this moment only) listing on my new Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Batty4Arts . At the moment it looks pretty boring, but I'm working on it. Computers enjoy driving me insane with their not working and stuff.


I promise, the finale of Periwinkle is coming. The details are taking a bit longer than I expected. There's beads, glue, paint... It's time consuming, but so far turning out well worth the effort! I'd give you a teaser photo, but my cameras batteries just died. It's one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment