Thursday, May 12, 2011

Hair today, gone tomorrow

I know, corny right? Don't care.

 Booya baby!

I had to empty the entire contents of 2 drawers and my sewing bag, but I found it! And didn't even have to resort to buying a second one in order to do so.

Which means it's time to insert some hair.

It's hair raising fun!

No, I don't know why I'm in such an odd mood at the moment.
 The process is simple, even though it is quite time consuming.

With my pointy tool, I make a hole in the scalp. All those little holes were made by the machine in the factory where she was originally made and they're much too small to insert the needle let alone the yarn. Besides, I don't like the hair do they gave her, which is why I ripped it all out in the first place, so I don't necessarily want to follow that pattern.

I do, however, have to follow the first row of holes fairly closely to ensure that they're covered.

This is my specially deigned needle- patent pending. It took years to get the design just right!

Ok, you got me. It's actually a darning needle with the end of the eye cut off. I discovered how well this works when I was trying to push the hair into another doll and the eye of the needle broke, giving this great fork at the end.

Fold one of the yarn strands in half, and put the middle into the fork.

Then, line the needle up with the hole you're inserting the yarn into. Using the thimble, gently push the needle and yarn into the head. It doesn't need to go in far. Just enough to hold the yarn in place.




 Pull the needle out, and TADA! Two strands of hair for the price of one!
 Work your way around the perimeter holes, keeping the yarn in fairly close together.

I'm using a combination of black and red yarn. I don't really have a pattern for this, just making it up as I go along.
 This is where I had to stop for the day. Not only is it time to make dinner, but even with the pointy tool and metal thimble, this step is quite hard on fingers. I have a few extra holes in me at the moment because every once in a while the needle slips off the thimble while pushing the yarn into place and jabs into a finger. Ouch.

Now is also a good time to start thinking about final hair styles. I'm not sure how I want to style her hair in the long run. Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions....

In the meantime, though, LOOK! My shipment of beads has arrived! WOOHOO! So pretty.

I have so many ideas of stuff to do with these that I just want to work around the clock to get them all going at once!

But one does require sleep. And a trip to the sauna. I've been feeling under a lot of stress lately, and it's instantly reflected in my skin. Hopefully the sauna and steam room will help to clear these blocked pores of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment