Thursday, May 5, 2011

My husband, the world's most patient man

There are time I feel sorry for Steve that he had the misfortune to fall under my captivating spell. Because, quite honestly, I am crazy.

When last we met with the pashmina, This was the result:

Beautiful, but incomplete. It was at this moment that I discovered I didn't have enough beads to complete this design. Over the last few days (or weeks, I don't know, it all starts blending together) I discovered that I can't get more of those beads. And I'm stubborn. So it sat.

Then, I found more pashminas for sale, and bought them.

 Glorious colors!

Issue number 1: I didn't like the effect of tying the fringe into knots and then trimming them. The beads had to be too close together to hide the knots, and... well it just didn't look right.

After thinking through a number of solutions, I decided on one.
 Run a zig zag stitch along the edge of the fringe line, then trim the tassels off close to the stitch line.

So first, I said a small prayer to the gods of craft. I didn't bother with a sacrifice, as I've discovered that if they require one, they will take it the moment something sharp in utilized.

It's just a constant hope that the sacrifice doesn't need to be so big that I pass out or need stitches.
 While stitching slowly and carefully right on the edge, I said a small mantra to myself:

"Oh please oh please oh please oh please...." You get the idea.
 The craft gods are with me today! It seems to have worked.

Time for a celebratory can of coke and a dance.
 My bobbin thread ran out, so I had to refill it. This has to be one of my favorite parts of using the sewing machine. It's almost hypnotic to watch that thread go up and down filling the bobbin.

Zen and the sewing machine.






And check this out, proof that the craft gods are on my side! After using a lighter color thread for the lighter pashminas, this is what was left on the spool after finishing the last one!

It's the small things that give life joy.
And this is why Steve has to have the patience of a...really patient person.

My next step was to go back to that first pashmina. The one I spent a few hours sewing beads onto. And remove the beads.

It's a little depressing that a few hours work can be undone in 5 minutes!
 But for good reason.

Bye-bye knots!

Hello gorgeous!






So, after a lot of dedication, a sore back, and another can of coke, all the pashminas have their edges secure. They still need to be trimmed, but alas, it's time to start on dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment