Saturday, May 7, 2011

Midnight Hoot

Yes, I know. The pashmina from hell is not complete. And here's why:

 I have more beads on order- got the shipping confirmation yesterday- so hopefully will be able to finish it soon. Stupid freakin' beads that don't know their place in the grand scheme of things.
 
 This is as far as I got on the second end of the pashmina. And then I had a disagreement with the thread as I was attempting to secure it.

So it's now sitting on the back of the couch, where it can bear witness to the projects I will do in the meantime that actually BEHAVE THEMSELVES! So there.

Yeah, who's in charge now?
 And to prove my point, I'm not wasting any time.

My pink bracelet sold very quickly (thanks Margaret!), and while I was making it I had these blue beads out as well. Then I got distracted with other things and didn't make the blue bracelet. But, I needed something to teach the pashmina from hell a lesson.

So, a bit of a reminder of how to do this incredible design.  You'll need 3 colors. For this I'm using dark blue, light blue, and clear. I'm also using beads that are all the same size. This changes the look of the bracelet, too, which you're about to see.

First, thread 4 dark blue beads, 1 light blue, 1 clear, and 1 more light blue.

Bit of a note, I'm using dark blue thread for this one. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Now, thread your needle back through the 4 dark blue beads.

Make sure to leave a long tail. It will be used later to sew the clasp on.
 Now, thread 1 dark blue, 1 light blue, 1 clear, and 1 more light blue.

Let them drop to the bottom of the work.
 Thread through the last 3 dark blue beads already on the thread, and the dark blue just added. Pull firm.
 Keep added beads in that way until it's as long as you want it.

Then, sew on the toggle clasp.

I sew it a lot!

Then tie the thread off and feed it back through several of the beads before trimming.
 I got a pack of these cute little owl charms for a witch doll I made. Unfortunately, I made her broom out of twigs and sticks from the park behind the house. International customs probably won't look kindly on that. My search is on for a man made substitute so that I can list her on Etsy. She is one of my more popular characters.
 Anyway, I used a jump ring to attach the owl to the toggle clasp.

Hence the "Hoot" in the title. Get it?

I'm crackin' myself up here.
 I'm practicing with the photos. I think they need something to make them pop, but I'm not entirely sure what yet.
 Probably not that.
Better. But it's still a work in progress.

I'll get there eventually. In the meantime, this has been listed on my Etsy Shop. I've also started experimenting with the descriptions. So if you don't mind, please go read it, then come back here and let me know what you think in the comment section.

Much appreciated!

Oh, and just to make sure I'm not accused of anything sinister- this bead design came from the wonderful book by Dorothy Wood entitled Simple Glass Beading.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You certainly have a way of setting a mood for your bracelet with that description! The owl really sets it off perfectly and I like the way you show it on your arm as it would be worn - brings it alive somehow! Margaret

    ReplyDelete