Sunday, May 8, 2011

Starting anew

Well, technically, I started a few days ago. Possibly focusing anew would be more accurate. Doesn't have quite the same ring, though, does it?

 Anyway, you may recall from previous posts the doll heads I got from the grocery store.

With that hair do I feel like we're back in the 80's. Of course, listening to Lady Gaga's latest releases, we don't have to revert to Madonna, since Gaga is channeling her.
The first pretty princess head turned into Samantha. She was intended for my car, but was later purchased and placed in the front of a caravan to discover the sights this beautiful country has to offer.

I'm guessing she'll have some great adventures!











Next came Periwinkle, whose "rebirth" (and arguments) were documented in detail on this blog. She's currently keeping watch over the studio space, awaiting a new home- here.






She's awesome, but doesn't match my car.

So....



The first step is to carefully, gently, RIP OUT HER HAIR WITH A PAIR OF PLIERS!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, to ensure her head doesn't come off, a bit of care does need to be taken.

Still a bit of a stress reliever, though.

 Next is to remove the painted features. I like to work on a blank canvas.

I use nail polish remover and a cotton pad to do this step. If you don't have nails, you may want to have a toothpick handy to push the cotton pad into the crevices. I just use my nails. It's easier to control.

You may also want to have some cotton buds handy for around the eyes. Be very careful not to get the nail polish remover on the eyes! It can make them quite dull and icky.

 Without the eye makeup, lipstick, and blush, she looks fine. Once you take off those eyebrows, though, it's just weird.

And those eyebrows are quite hard to get rid of! But also possibly the most important. The eye makeup and lipstick will be covered up, but I tend to change the shape of the eyebrows quite a bit.
 I leave her to sit for a while now. This ensures that the residue from the nail polish remover evaporates completely. Don't want it interfering with paint application.

In the meantime, I get out my sketch pad and brainstorm about eye makeup designs. One of these lucky designs will find it's way onto this doll. Others may be used on future dolls. And let's not forget design ideas for me!

I did a Google image search for gothic eye makeup. There's loads of great ideas. Some people are so creative.

I'm storing the pictures for this gal in a folder titled "El Diablo." Probably not a good idea as it may tempt the craft gods to make good on that. I've chosen a mix of black and red hair for her, though, and the name just sort of stuck in my head.
 Almost forgot! My GelaSkin came! You can read about the process here, but the final product is much more impressive I think.

Won't mistake this one for anyone else's now!

No comments:

Post a Comment